Assassin's Creed 2 Review: Part 1 - The Look

In this, the first part of our Assassin's Creed 2 review, we look at The Look of the game. From how it compares to newer games, but also the environments inside this second entry in the franchise. 

When you think of Assassin's Creed, perhaps the Look isn't the first thing you think of. Sure, they all look pretty but I, personally, always think of the awesome gameplay of the games. And the fact I waited so long to start playing them. But, in fact, looking at Rogue and Unity (coming out later this year) they are stunning. They're beautiful and somehow even this game, released now a while ago still holds up when I play it now, in 2014. Saying that, it can't compete with a game like Skyrim (I use that simply because we have that review for you to look at) because the game is predominantly set in a city or town environment. Obviously I can't mark the game down for this, that would be stupid, but it gives a different outlook for the player, and actually makes this review a lot harder to write!

Source: compactiongames.about.com
Looking at the above screenshot, although it looks nice, everything looks a little flat. To be honest, I'm not sure what to do here. Obviously I'm writing this review years after the game was first released, so I can't really review it properly anyway from a graphics perspective, so I'm going to have to review it as though I was back in 2009 at this moment. 

I hadn't actually realised how old this game was. Looking at it you would imagine it could have come out in 2011 or 2012, but 2009? Wow, this game looks amazing for that! Looking at the intricacies of the scenery in the Towns that you visit, from the conviently places ledges and strangely jutting out pieces of wood, the purpose of which nobody in the game world knows, to the boats, the landing stages on the rivers and the landscapes (where there are landscapes). 

Source: games.softpedia.com

In Skyrim I complained about the trees looking rubbish, here they look anything but that - the trees are worthy of today! (They must be very pleased!)


I'll be honest - as you might be able to tell: this has been a difficult review to write. The game is too old to judge by today's standards, but it does live up to them. For a game of 2009 that is remarkable. 

Comments

Popular Posts