I Really Wanted To Like Borderlands 2.....But I Didn't

I bought Borderlands 2 in the Steam Winter Sale. The idea was great, it was a game that most of my friends had and played and we'd all be able to play it together. But, when I started to play it I found that no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into it. For me, a shooter has to be really really good for me to want to continue to invest time into it solidly. One of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of shooters is because normally the story is lacking. A lot. And, from the few hours of the game I played - I really couldn't get the story. To be fair, this might just be that I've only played the game for two hours. But something just didn't click. Maybe if I'd persevered I could have gotten through the beginning, got used to the story, got familiar with the characters and even felt like I needed to get back into the universe.

Don't get me wrong, when I played it with friends it was good fun! But I felt like a real liability to them, as if I really wasn't lending anything and all I was there for was for them to heal me when I couldn't get back up again. So if you want a game you only play with your friends, then by all means buy this. But if you want a strong single player experience - find something else.

I want to make it clear that this isn't really a bad game. Sure, it could use a better story, and be made better as a single player experience, but it is genuinely funny. And it's hard to make me laugh at a game - I find the humour forced and not thought through at the best of times - but Borderlands 2 does it well. I love the art style to death. It looks great, despite looking like a photo taken on a phone with the "cartoon" setting turned on - and I love that. But I just didn't enjoy it. I hope you do, but I really advise you to read as many reviews as you can, and to watch some SINGLE PLAYER gameplay.

Comments

Popular Posts