Assassin's Creed 2 Review: Part 3 - The Features

In the third part of our Assassin's Creed 2 Review, we look at the Features of the Game. This includes the Music, the User Interface (UI) and how the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and NPC's behave in the game. 

I really really love the music in Assassin's Creed 2. Not so much that I look it up and listen to the OST on YouTube, but enough to appreciate it when I hear it in the game. There always seems to be music as well, and (like some games) I haven't got bored of it whilst doing stuff. In some games I find that there is so much to do that music is repeated so often that you hear it over, and over and over again with little change, but here there is enough (or it has been arranged) so that you keep hearing "new" music. The trigger's for different types of music are great as well, and really fit well with the situation.


I can't talk too much about what the UI is like in the game from a PC point of view, because I don't use PC controls when I play it; I use my Xbox PC Controller simply because it's easier to do everything. In most games I would never do this, but this (and Dark Souls) are my exceptions. But, from what I've seen they wouldn't be too bad to play with a mouse - it may get a little annoying after a while, but I can see that eventually the player would get used to it.

Source: mobygames.com

The AI in AC2 seems to be OK. It's neither the best ever (you don't find people going round, doing their own thing), nor the worst. You get the feeling that the NPC's daily lives are very scripted. This isn't helped by the fact the developers were forced to make sure there were enough groups of people walking around, so that you could easily walk between them without getting caught by guards. As I have mentions before, I don't like that part of the game at all.

I also think I should mention that I have found that after cut-scenes if I wasn't in the exact place where the cut-scene was before it started, I would be moved there afterwards. I don't know if this is good or bad. On one hand it means that at least the cut-scene doesn't show you in a place you're not, then keep you there - but ideally it would move the character in the cut-scene to where you stopped before.

The music and UI are great, but certain things let down the features of the game. 

Comments

Popular Posts