Doctor Who Review: Series 8 - Episode 6 - The Caretaker

This Review contains spoilers for The Caretaker. 


Poster copyright RadioTimes and Stuart Manning. 












The Episode 

This episode sees The Doctor go "undercover" in Coal Hill School as he spots a threat from a 'deadly monster' called a Skovoz Blitzer. This means Clara's two different lives collide dramatically as she is forced to introduce the two men in her life to each other. At first we don't see The Doctor and Danny Pink get on well together, but after Danny saves The Doctor from his mistake, the tension releases. 

The Review

Another episode that I can't make my mind up on whether I like it or not. On one hand I really enjoyed the humour (as I always do in a Gareth Roberts episode,) but on the other I thought the story was a little boring, and the alien was totally uninspiring. It was trying to be a Dalek-like Racnoss looking thing - which really didn't work for me. He wasn't at all scary when we (eventually) saw him. I did really enjoy the interaction between The Doctor and Danny. I know some people strongly dislike his character, but I think there is something interesting about him, and possibly more than meets the eye. 

I thought that the music was brilliant in this episode, as was the Direction and all behind the scenes work. The music reminded me a lot of what we hear in Sherlock, which I do really like - however it was a trifle strange that it was so similar. 

The Skovoz Blitzer may not have been particularly scary, but I do think that the design was quite cool. If you watch Doctor Who Extra this week, you'll see a lot more about the design, which I won't spoil, but I thought was very interesting. 

I seem to be growing fonder and fonder of the new Doctor every week. I think Peter Capaldi brings a superb mix of fun, humour and also gritty drama as well. I've seen comments on other websites saying that people don't quite get him, which I think is interesting. I can see that because he is so different to the 11th Doctor, some people who only started watching in 2011 wouldn't want to move on. However, I wasn't a fan of the 11th (I thought he was too silly and bumbling) so this is a breath of fresh air for me. I just hope the current quality is maintained throughout the series.

Another good episode that, despite not being a classic, still maintains a high quality. 

What did you think of this episode? Let me know in the comments!!

Comments

Popular Posts