Why I Recommend: Tomb Raider (2013)

I'm writing the Why I Recommend for this week as The BlackStig had something come up. Things should be back to normal for Thursday. 

Tomb Raider is a slightly odd series (I feel anyway). They're games that everyone has heard of (if you're into gaming) but lots of people actually never pick up. It's been on my wishlist on Steam for a while now, and a few weeks ago I bought it - I thought it would be a fun change from the kind of games I normally play and that it would be interesting to play a game with a female protagonist, which - I admit - isn't something I normally do.

I'm really glad I did pick it up! I'm just under four hours into the game so far, but even so it is extremely intense (in a good way). The beginning is a strange time, because all though you feel as though you've been thrown in at the deep end a little bit, you feel as though the game has your back if you need it to - but if you don't, then it'll leave you to take your own path.

I really like the open-world-yet-not-open-world of the game (as I am now calling it) as well. It means that all though you are confined to a certain area of the World between camp-fires, you have all that bit of World to explore, and go over in as much detail as you see fit. That'something that has been around for ages, but that I've not properly thought about before.

I really recommend Tomb Raider to anyone. It has a fun story and is the kind of game that you can dip into and out of at your leisure. Although, at release there was some controversy over Lara Croft's portrayal in the game I feel that as an origin story it sets her up nicely (from what I've seen so far).

Comments

Popular Posts