Bound By Flame Review: Part 3 - The Features

In the third part of our Bound By Flame Review, we look at the Features of the Game. This includes the Music, the voice acting, the User Interface (UI) and how the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and NPC's behave in the game.

Personally the music of the game is one of the high points, despite there not actually being loads. A lot of it is used over and over again - but not in the way of Skyrim where you hear it again because the game is so long, because there simply isn't that much of it. Which is a real shame, as what was there was really beautiful, and I would listen to on YouTube of my choice, not just in the game. 

From a high point, to a low point. The voice acting, mainly the script for the voice acting, is some of the worst I have ever seen (heard?) in a game. Ever. It's truly abysmal. With the lead character shooting out swears words in every sentence, making him sound like he's a very small child who's heard his parents using them and wants some of the action. Here's a heads up developers, to make you character sound older, to give them depth and grit and something that makes you like them - give them a solid story, and tell it to us! And hire an actor who sounds interested in what he/she is doing! Admittedly I've only played the male version of the lead, and I'm told the female voice-work is much better. However, the NPC's aren't. They're almost as lifeless. But not quite. Honestly, I don't know how a developer can release a game where from the word go you hate the main character, and prefer the voice acting and script of the other, less important people. It seems very odd to me.

The UI is OK. It reminds me a little of that in Assassin's Creed 2, where I said it was probably for consoles, which I would say here as well. It isn't bad at all. Just sort of there I suppose. The HUD really began to annoy me because it pops on and off depending if your fighting something. Now, on paper this doesn't sound too bad, but personally I quite like to see my level progress as I'm going and how my health and magic are doing. That's personal preference, and you can change it (as I found out later) but strangely, this is how it was pre-set. You would have thought more people would want to be able to see, but maybe not.

The main character is horrible, but hey - the music ain't bad!

Next week we take a look at the all important question: Was It Fun? And then, next Thursday, the whole review edited together with a final score! 

Comments

Popular Posts