The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard DLC Review

In the penultimate part of our Elder Scrolls DLC Review week, I review Skyrim - Dawnguard. 

This review contains very minor spoilers. 


I actually really love Dawnguard. In a way it's very similar to the Kights Of The Nine DLC for Oblivion, in the way that it introduces an ancient order that have to come back to fight something. But this time it's so much cooler. The Dawnguard (what a great name as well!) fight the Vampires!

mononoke-kitsune.deviantart.com

Of course, you can chose to side with either the Vampires or the Dawnguard in this DLC, but the story plays out almost in exactly the same way. By choosing the side of the Vampires you are bitten and turn into one yourself (this means that if you are a Companion [and therefore a Werewolf] you will now permanently be a Vampire).

In addition to adding this new ability to the game, Bethesda added skill trees for both the Vampire and Werewolf (respectively) granting further abilities to the already very cool ones available.

The story is also of an incredibly high quality, considering it's DLC and I found myself getting very invested in both the characters and what was going on in relation to the whole of Skyrim as a province of Tamriel. Despite the great story, progression did feel a little slow and sometimes I felt like I was going nowhere. Particularly when the Dawnguard were first being set up and I simply had to fetch people to the castle.

One of my own screenshots of the Castle.
Very cool other new things were added including the Dawnguard's Castle base - which looks gorgeous and is currently adorning my desktop as my wallpaper. However, the coolest new thing is the addition of another Elder Scroll into the story. It's always exciting when this happens and incredible to see what it can do.

The final boss battle, while memorable, was a little slow paced for my liking and it became tedious to defeat the Vampire Lord - although his character design is awesome.


Comments

Popular Posts