The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn DLC Review

On the third day of our week of DLC Reviews we move onto Skyrim with our Dragonborn Review! 

Much like Shivering Isles was for Oblivion, Skyrim not only adds a new quest-line, but also a completely new part of Skyrim for the player to explore. In this case it is the island of Solstheim, just off the coast of Morrowind (also the setting to a piece of Morrowind DLC) and its a really awesome place, that is fascinating to explore. However, it doesn't feel too different to Skyrim than I think the setting could have done. That isn't necessarily a knock against it, but I think if a new place is made to be explored it should be as different as possible for the DLC.

The story for the DLC is actually really interesting to play through, which is (obviously) a huge plus. The main story was also just long enough that I became invested in the characters, but I didn't get bored either - the perfect balance. And the quests are also fun and interesting to carry out. A big plus is the tonne of quests which are added to the game as side quests in Solstheim, which adds a lot more Skyrim. That was a big plus for me in general: more Skyrim - more of the same kind of world to explore and further story for me to play that adds to the game.

I did, however, start to get annoyed as I tried to travel around the island. I found it to be a little more boxed in and not as easy to explore as I did in the world of Skyrim, but not in a way that made it relinquish the open-world stamp, but enough that it was noticeable to me.

But, the big thing that Dragonborn added was the ability to tame and fly dragons. This sounds awesome. Very awesome. When I heard about this I was so stoaked to begin to ride my dragons around Skyrim and Solstheim. However - in actuality this wasn't great. You have very limited control over the dragon and it can't really go anywhere imparticualr. If you want to ride a long way then you can, but you don't see the map underneath you - which I was especially disappointed with.


Comments

Popular Posts