Which Game Can Finally Scratch My RPG Itch?

I bought Dragon Age: Inqusition at Christmas because I really wanted a new RPG to sink my teeth into. Simple as. And, to some extent at least, it gave me exactly what I wanted. Is it an RPG? Yes! Check! Could have have really got into it? Yes! Check! Did I? No. No, I didn't. I'm a little under 13 hours in (admittedly that isn't a lot for a game the size of Inquisition) and it still hasn't really grabbed me in the way I expected (and wanted) it to. 

I kept trying to kid myself into liking it enough to pop it back into the PS4 and press X to start playing again. This has been going on for a long time now, and I think it's time to admit to myself that I don't really like this game. 

But why? Not because it's bad - it certainly isn't. In fact, I think the tactical combat is very clever and the fact you can choose whether to use it or not furthers that thought for me. What also strikes me is how beautiful the game is. Wherever I am in the world a gorgeous vista greets me. 

So, the combat is good, the world is very pretty, I like the UI and the minimalistic HUD used by BioWare. What don't I like? The way the quests are done. I have no problem with the stories told through the quests, but I don't like the fact that you can just play the main quest-line straight through. They way BioWare has built the game means that you HAVE to complete side-quests to gain power, influence and progress more stats to let you get further in the main game. 

On paper that actually sounds like a very good idea, and I know that some people do really love that way of playing. The numerous Game Of The Year awards speak for themselves. For me, in a game like this, the side-quests would have to be either incredibly interesting or simply be left as they should be...to the side. In fact many of them are very boring and simply "Go kill these dudes!" or "Go fetch this!".

For me these quests don't add to the story, or really have any of their own. This is my main problem with Dragon Age: Inquisition. I don't feel like what I'm doing is worth anything, and when you start feeling that in a game, surely its time to stop? I would think so.

However, I'm going to push on. If I still haven't been grabbed by 30 hours I will just give up, move on and realise that my money has been wasted. But that's life, isn't it?

I bought Dragon Age: Inquisition because I was hoping it would be my next Skyrim. A game I could dive into - even just for 15 minutes - and play the hell out of, love then revisit when I felt like it. It hasn't become that yet.

So, which game will be scratching that itch? I'm hoping it will either be the Witcher 3 or The Elder Scrolls Online (depending on which one I eventually decide to get. Witcher 3 has the benefit of looking awesome, but ESO has the benefit-that-tops-all-benefits (for me at least) of being an Elder Scrolls game. And I love nothing more than an Elder Scrolls game. Although, as I've said in a previous post; I do think we forget to look past the "Elder Scrolls" in Elder Scrolls Online (spoilers: I'm still going to play it!)

-----

So....You decide - should I buy The Witcher 3 or The Elder Scrolls Online? Let me know on Twitter @Gamotere or in the comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts