One Year Later, What Have I Learnt After Writing Gamotere?

Wow. Its been a year (actually a few days over a year, but we'll ignore that). A year since I wrote a crap article about an experience I had with Steam. As I said, it was crap but it began the journey and let me begin to test out how I would go on writing things. This first piece - which somehow went on to talk about whether Steam had a face - was meant to be funny. In fact, I still think it was kinda funny, but I decided that this wasn't the way I'd want to be writing go forward.

So I changed my style. I adopted somewhat more of a serious tone, but tried to keep the entertainment factor in my writing (something I'll get to later). I've always thought it important to make journalism accessible to everyone. Not that I really count this as proper journalism, but I wanted to make sure that anyone could read it and understand whatever the hell it was I was talking about; whether it be my Tomb Raider Review, or something about Doctor Who. I tried, at least to the best of my ability, to do this.

But, as I mentioned earlier, I also tried to make reading what I was talking about entertaining and relatable. As you will have noticed, I don't do videos. While this is something I hope to change in the coming weeks, its meant that I've had to create a voice simply through my writing, not through actually being able to express my thoughts on camera. So much of the video game journalism industry is moving to personality driven content now - primarily through videos - that I think not jumping on that bandwagon would be stupid, hence me trying to write as though I'm talking to you, but on a level as if we've never met before and I'm explaining something, rather than friend-to-friend.

But that's not all I've learnt. Some of you may possibly remember that way-back this site used to be called Nerd & Proud. I scratched that name for a number of reasons, one of which was because it wasn't individual enough. When looking to name the site in the first place I read loads of blogs about "How To Pick The Perfect Name" all of which said one thing: pick something memorable that only you own. So, it became Gamotere. Gaming, Movies, Television and Reviews. Later I decided to add comics, so the name made less sense, but I still like it (even if it is a little hard to pronounce).

As well as this, I've also started trying to improve the look of the site. That might be as simple as adding thumbnails, or in other changes to come, but I think that's hugely important when creating something like this. It's really easy to create a blog, but it's hard to make it stand out and look good, especially with the limited tools that Google Blogger offers, but I'm incredibly happy with how it's turned out, and I hope you like what's to come.

Above, I mentioned thumbnails. This is what I call the graphic which I now put at the top of most posts (I didn't on this particular one simply because I wanted it to be more personal). I think grabbing attention is very important, and these thumbnails help to do so on Twitter, Google Plus, and if someone simply stumbles across the site.

Bouncing off of that, social media has been an invaluable tool every step of the way. I've always tried to be active on Twitter in order to access a larger following and connect with people from the industry who I can talk to about video games, movies or whatever, but I've also found Google Plus extremely helpful. While I personally don't like it, articles that are promoted on Google Plus always do better than those which aren't, and it seems to deliver content to a wider fan-base than Twitter.

But, I think the most important thing I've learnt is to just do something. If I'm thinking for an idea for an article, I should just go ahead and write it. If you're thinking you want to get into writing, you should go ahead and start a blog. I hope I've helped you as much as the following did for me.

Thank you to Daemon Hatfield, Dan Stapleton and Justin Davis for being three of the four (I'll get to the fourth later) people to star in the very first video about games I can remember watching. It was an episode of Game Scoop! on IGN which was about The Elder Scrolls Online. I'll never forget watching it and all the episodes since which continue to inspire me.

Thank you to IGN as a website and the people who have worked there and continue to do so for delivering some of the most relatable content on the internet and reminding me daily why I want to become a video game journalist.

Thank you to Nick Scarpino and Tim Gettys of Kinda Funny for reminding me that something can still be entertaining even when about serious things, and for helping me to skate better.

Thank you to Daryl Rodriguez and Jeanette Garcia for being the first people I ever interviewed.

Thank you to Peter Simeti and Bill Gardner for being the second and third people I ever interviewed.

Thank you to Bethesda for making Skyrim, the game that made me realise that there was more to video games that a little plumber jumping up and down.

Thank you to Valiant Hearts for helping me to remember that video games should bring out emotions in us.

Thank you to PlayStation for making consoles I love and that I can write about each and every week.

Thank you to Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty (also of Kinda Funny) for making me want to write about games, and to never stop searching for more information about them.

Thank you to Kinda Funny for being pretty much the only thing I ever watch, and making me want to create my own videos.

But, most of all - thank you to you, the reader. Thank you for reading this far in the article, but also for sticking with the blog through thick and thin, crap articles, and the best ones I've written. Thank you for everything, and sorry if I've forgotten to put you on this list.

Thank you. Without all of those people this, and wherever this leads, would not and will not be possible. You are awesome, and never forget that.

Comments

Popular Posts