Why Horizon: Zero Dawn Looks So Awesome


NB. You might want to watch the trailer for this to understand some of the things I discuss in this post. It's right here! 


At E3 this year, Guerrilla announced their new game. It's called Horizon: Zero Dawn and it looks incredible. But, this feeling runs deeper for me.

Why? A number of reasons. Firstly, I think that having female leads is really important in games. For too long we've had the same old protagonist; white, male, brown hair, beard, early 30s. And that's fine. There's nothing to put those characters down. Hell, Nathan Drake is that exact character, and I can't wait for the Uncharted Collections and Uncharted 4! But I think we need a wider selection. I think it's partially the reason why people loved the Tomb Raider reboot. Sure, it did show us a slightly weaker Lara, but that built (and I'm sure will continue to build in Rise Of The Tomb Raider) over the game as she became a true force to be reckoned with.

In addition to that, I think its fascinating to play as a female character, because you see a very slightly different perspective on things, and they are always seen as the underdog, who proves herself and, just like Lara in Tomb Raider, got that white male every-character scared, and eventually kills him.

That's just the surface of why this game looks so awesome. I love that in the trailer (see above) the protagonist is talking to the mech-dinosaur-things as though she doesn't want to kill them. That intrigues me no end. But it also triggers another question: where do these mech-dinosaur-things (I'm pretty sure that's what they are going to be called in the game) come from; who built them? were they built? did they just come from nowhere?

In addition to this, another question comes up. What the hell happened that meant the earth effectively reset itself? I read somewhere that the game was being described as "post-post-apocalyptic". Meaning that the apocalypse had happened, and society restarting, but with the remnants of what was there before. This, again, is fascinating, but not something entirely new to be.

In the back of my mind I've always had the idea for a book. In that book, the earth has "reset" itself, but there are still parts of life before dwindling there. Sound familiar? Yep. The thing is, I will probably never actually get around to writing that book. So, in order for me to live out this strange idea of mine, Horizon: Zero Dawn is almost perfect.

From what I've seen so far, all I dislike is the subtitle. I really wish it was just called Horizon. Or even just Zero Dawn. Not both! Still, perhaps that means we're in for more entries in the series.

The game looks beautiful, the main character looks like a bad-ass, the world looks incredible and Horizon is one of those games that I just want to be out. I don't want to see any more. I'm sold. God, 2016 is gonna be awesome!

Comments

Popular Posts