Pockets Full Of Soup On Patreon - An Interview With Jared Petty

Jared Petty is a Senior Editor at IGN.com - one of the World's leading video game websites. In addition to that, he recently started a podcast dedicated to people's lives and the stories that helped them get to where they are today. With one simple, weekly question, Jared Petty asks: "who are you thankful for?" and there the magic begins. Please note, while I am a Patron of Jared's, I have no other affiliation with Pockets Full Of Soup.

How would you describe Pockets Full Of Soup in one Tweet (140 characters)?

Pockets Full of Soup asks guests to share the story of one person they're thankful for. 

How did you come up with the concept for the show - was it a eureka moment, or something that developed over a longer period of time?

The idea developed over time. I've always been interested in the way that people coming into and out of our lives change us, and how our reactions to their presence help define who we and they become. I've never really bought into the idea of personal responsibility in the way you sometimes see it popularly portrayed in fiction or politics, with independent, heroic human beings making solitary, dramatic choices in difficult circumstances that make or break them. Very little of what we do in the course of our lives is accomplished individually. Our successes, failures, and lessons are usually cooperative.

I was also influenced by the desire to create something positive. I work in entertainment media as a day job and I've tried hard to keep my writing and presentation in that arena positively and progressively oriented. Pockets is a more direct expression of the same intention: a purposeful, though hopefully not saccharine attempt to promote the best parts of what we learn from others, even if the story that caused the learning is painful to hear. 
 
If you could persuade anyone - living or dead - to come onto the podcast, who would it be and why?

That's easy. Ben Franklin. Dude has been a source of fascination for me since I was in elementary school. I want to know more about who helped make him the man he became. 

What was the biggest challenge in bringing the show to fruition?

Honestly, time. Even with a shoestring production, Pockets takes a lot of time to run. Between setting up the interviews, travel, recording, post-production, communication, building community relationships, seeking out new guests, sending backer rewards, etc. it's a lot of time. 
 
What did you expect guest's stories to be like, and how is that different from what they've (so far) presented?

While I prep quite a bit, I went into this project determined to ask questions dynamically, that tried to follow where the guest was headed and lead them toward the most interesting emerging details. Because I take this approach, I actually have very little idea where the final product s going to go, so I'm almost always surprised, and I like it that way.

Comments

Popular Posts