PlayStation Experience 2016 Conference Round Up & Reactions

 All the news from the 2016 PSX Conference and my reactions to each and every story.


The conference started incredibly strongly with the announcement of the Uncharted single-player DLC, "The Lost Legacy" featuring Nadine and Chloe from the franchise, complete with an awesome trailer.


Moving on, the long rumoured Marvel vs Capcom game, titled Infinate, was revealed, with the release date set for 2017. Additionally, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is available now. Remastered versions of the WipEout games were then announced, collected in the Omega Collection, which will be out in 2017. After a trailer for a Destiny racing feature, the Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy was teased with a new trailer. It looks absolutely gorgeous.


Next, a Call Of Duty World League announcement, before a brand new trailer for Resident Evil VII. It looks harrowing, and creepy and dark and mystical. A genuinely near perfect trailer. Oh, and there's an update to the demo out now on PSN.


After an Ace Combat 7 trailer and reveal of a new character for Street Fighter V, we saw the final Last Guardian trailer. It was lovely, and the music is absolutely perfect: a wonderful mix of visual and auditory beauty.


Three classic games are being remastered for PS4: Parappa The Rapper, Locoroco and Patapon, with the first having a demo available on PS4 today. Unbelievably, we then got the announcement and a trailer for Knack 2. Safe to say, the internet was very happy. We then saw a Gravtiy Rush 2 DLC trailer, and one for GT Sport, before an absolutely stunning look at Ni-No-Kuni II trailer, which will apparently out in 2017.


Next up were short trailers for Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami, which are coming to PS4 in the West in 2018 and 2017 respectively. A Danganronpa Killing Harmony V3 trailer was next, with a Western release date for 2017 on PS4 and Vita. There were then trailers for Nier Automata (March 7th 2017), Dreadnought, Ys Origin (PS4/Vita in 2017) and Pyre from Supergiant. We then saw a third party trailer for Sony, the standout for me being a game called Vane.


Then there were trailers for Edith Finch, Let It Die (which is now free on PS4), Mother Russia Dies and Garu Mark Of The Wolf (PS4/Vita). Up next was the announcement that the hugely popular Lara Croft GO is out on PS4 and Vita right now.


For the 1% of people who got the joke, a game called Windjammers was then shown off, before a short selection of PS VR games were shown in a sizzle reel. We then saw a Nioh trailer, which looks incredible.


MLB The Show '17 was then discussed briefly before, one more thing. I needn't say more than The Last Of Us Part II.


Reactions

What a fantastic conference. As I think back to it now, 24 hours later, there are so many games and moments that stand out to me. I'd be remiss to mention The Last Of Us Part II at the forefront of this: the sequel to one of the best games of all time. While I can't wait for it to come out, and I'm so excited we got a first look at it, part of me wishes we hadn't, that it had the Fallout 4 treatment of the 6 month announce-to-release cycle. Of course, there are practical implications as to why this probably couldn't happen, the potential of it leaking and the surprise being ruined (a la Marvel vs Capcom 4) before at the forefront.

Aside from that, I was surprised by how much I loved the look of Nioh. A game that hadn't been on my radar until now, it looks like a mash up of the Witcher 3's combat, and Dark Souls' atmosphere, which I'm all in for.

In terms of new announcements, Vane has me very intrigued: the slightly odd juxtaposition between Oxenfree-like music and what was going on in the trailer makes me very anxious to learn a little more.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Crash footage: never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it'd look that good; hopefully the gameplay follows suit. I am slightly worried that we've not had a release date set as yet, but there's certainly time - it seems like the perfect summer game to me.

I also want to give a shout-out to the two best trailers (Last Of Us aside): Resi 7 and The Last Guardian, both of which I think are masterclasses in how to construct and realise a mood piece to show off the respective games, with the change of tone in the latter being a work of genius.

The Uncharted DLC has me very excited. I adored Chloe as a character in Uncharted 2 and 3 and I think she was sorely underused, so a whole experience with her is very welcome indeed. I liked Nadine less as a character (granted, she was one of the bad guys, so that's probably the intended reaction) but I'm sure the story Naughty Dog has is worth telling with both of them, otherwise I think we can be certain they wouldn't be doing it. I think April/May is a safe bet for release.

Overall, I think it was a great showcase of PlayStation and why you should be playing there. I think it's unfathomable why Microsoft haven't got something similar for Xbox yet: somewhere to show off the brand, platforms and games in one place to their biggest fans. At the end of the day, that's what PSX is and that's why it should by definition always have the best conferences: because they should cater to the fans. In terms of that, mission accomplished this year.

Comments

Popular Posts